Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Program Assistant III works under the direction of the Operations Manager to support the onsite activities of the Vaccine Trials Unit (VTU). The role is focused on the administrative activities that support the VTU's clinical research work. In addition to the responsibilities listed below, this role will act as administrative back-up to other VTU staff members. Additional tasks that are not outlined below may be added as the employee becomes proficient in their job.
- Work as a team member, facilitating overall administrative support for program and unit. Able to take initiative to seek out opportunities for tasks that will support VTU staff and participants.
- Front Desk reception - including greeting participants, directing them to COVID policies, answering phone calls/texts/emails, making appointment reminders, and checking participants out at the end of their study visits (check-writing, checkbook management, parking validation, bus fares).
- Assist with upkeep of front desk area and VTU suite--including keeping common areas clean and organized, working with Cabrini building personnel on supply outages, distributing memos, and making announcements.
- Coordinating sample deliveries to various labs at Fred Hutch and other groups including Harborview, UW Lab, Bloodworks NW, etc. May involve constant updating of Outlook calendars and responding to Microsoft Teams chats to ensure that there is clear communication between clinic and lab staff.
- Coordinate Outlook appointments - including scheduling for active participants' visits within the required protocol time frame, reviewing appointments on clinician calendars and updating appointment notes, especially notes on appointment status. Monitor and provide Outlook calendar support for clinicians, pharmacy and receiving laboratories of accurate specimen collection information daily.
- Maintain communication and correspondence with active participants and prepare lost-to follow-up tracking of missing visits. Utilize preferred communication modalities for participants--will include using texting app, email and calls.
- Perform administrative duties: filing study materials, filing charts, copying and printing materials needed for other staff members and/or overall clinical research activity.
- Purchasing, supply and inventory management - ordering, keeping inventory of clinical and recruitment supplies, coordinating and organizing supplies onsite, creating POs, reconciling invoices and receipts.
- Fiscal support - compiling end of year participant payment information for tax purposes, verifying and reconciling participant payment via a bank's electronic interface, compiling each month's participant payments and creating a monthly document of each payment, Quality Control and Quality Assurance activities for checks entered in the bank's electronic system.
- Processing study participants' lab results - including data entry of clinical lab results, flagging charts for clinicians, and sending copies of lab results to clinical care providers.
- Data entry - as described above for clinical lab results, also entering participant information in centralized database. Additional data entry and data verification tasks may be assigned by the VTU onsite Data Manager.
- Assist outreach team with communicating with potential participants and updating records in centralized REDCap database. Help with ordering supplies and coordinating various community events.
- Train new employees and other VTU staff who may provide back up to front desk staff.
- Coordinate scheduling and setup for study-related meetings.
- Maintain Training in Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPAA), Blood-Borne Pathogens (BBP), Packaging and Shipping Diagnostic and Biological Samples, Good Clinical Practice (GCP), and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR). Additionally, will complete training related to specific research protocols as required by Sponsors.
- Participate in regular staff meetings while compiling, transcribing, and disseminating the weekly meeting minutes.
- Maintain Operational manual that describes duties related to the Program Assistant duties.
- Provide back-up coverage for Clinical Research Assistants, may include packing and processing laboratory specimens and coordinating communication between lab and delivery entities.
- Assist clinicians with coordinating administrative operations for evening clinic if/when evening hours resume.
- Bachelors' degree in biological, social, or clinical science, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of three years of relevant experience
- A high degree of organizational and coordination skills, logical thinking and close attention to detail.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and within a team environment; must be self-driven and proactive.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team and independently.
- High proficiency computer skills - including strong knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Teams, Word and Excel
- Willingness to be flexible in working hours, including working some early mornings and evenings.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must, prior to their first day of employment: Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ; ORInitiate the accommodations process to request a religious or medical accommodation (medical accommodations require a healthcare provider's certification).
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $24.96 to $35.53 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.