The Leonard D. Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics is one of the nationâs premier health policy research centers.Â Housed jointly in the School of Pharmacy and Price School of Public Policy at the University of Southern California (USC), its mission is to measurably improve value in health care through evidence-based policy solutions, research excellence, and private and public sector engagement.Â Through a unique collaboration with The Brookings Institution, the Schaeffer Center has developed an effective channel to disseminate its policy analyses. Center experts are frequently cited by the media, White House, Congress, the Congressional Budget Office, the Federal Reserve Board, and other agencies.
A diverse staff of 40+ work alongside 50+ affiliated faculty to ensure the Centerâs activities are rigorous, independent, and policy-relevant. Â This includes research staff (directors, administrators, specialists), a finance team, and media and communications experts.Â The Center also supports a microsimulation group and a programmer core with access to models, methods, and an extensive data library.Â Â Â
The Schaeffer Center seeks an experienced professional to oversee research development in support of the Center mission. Â Since its inception in 2009, the Center has raised more than $120 million from a diverse set of funders.Â About half of this funding has come from NIH grants, and the other half was raised through a combination of philanthropic, foundation, and university support.
The Center is creating a new position â Director of Research Development â to help develop and oversee its expanding portfolio of research programs.Â The Director of Research Development will report directly to the Centerâs Managing Director and will work closely with the Centerâs Director and Associate Director, research staff and faculty affiliated with the Center.Â The position will require an individual who is able to produce cogent proposals for both scientific and philanthropic audiences; develop interdisciplinary teams to meet specific program objectives; and effectively engage faculty and staff in the fundraising and research development process. This is a full-time, 2-year (renewable) fixed term position.
Research development and reporting:
- Establishes and executes the Centerâs research strategy in support of the mission, including action plans for fruitful areas for research investment;
- Oversees the preparation of research proposals to a diverse set of funders â Federal agencies, philanthropic donors, Foundations, and the like â in consultation with faculty, research staff, development staff, the schools and the university (working closely with Center leadership);
- Produces reports on research accomplishments based on qualitative and quantitative metrics in consultation with the external affairs team
- Cultivates and maintains strategic relationships within the Schaeffer Center to advance research goals, including leadership; affiliated faculty; research staff; and the external affairs and finance teams
- Cultivates and maintains strategic relationships within the university to advance research goals, including development staff at the USC School of Pharmacy, Price School of Public Policy, and the University; the Office of Research Advancement; and USCâs Institutional Review Board
- Cultivates and maintains strategic relationships with external research partners to advance research goals, including The Brookings Institution, other academic universities, and key sponsors
Other duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
Applicants must have a successful track record in leading a research program and developing proposals for scientific, philanthropic, or other organizations; assembling interdisciplinary research teams; and conducting health economics research or policy analysis. A PhD degree and over 10 years of management or supervisory experience in economics, public policy, or related field is required.
In order for your application to be considered, you must attach a cover letter and resume to your application.
Competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.Â Â
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Minimum Education: Doctorate, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum educationMinimum Experience: Over 10 years, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experienceMinimum Field of Expertise: Education and experience directly related to field of research. Expert knowledge of field, statistical research, and fundraising.
Internal Number: REQ20081388
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.